Canadians spring into Toyota hybrids to power April 2012Blog Feb 10th, 2018
TCI recorded April sales of 18,732 Toyota, Lexus and Scion vehicle sales, a reduction of 3% over April 2011, which featured two more selling days. This month was also highlighted by a shift in consumer preference to cars and especially to hybrids, which recorded their best TCI hybrid market share ever.
Toyota sales highlights for April 2012 (vs. April 2011)
- Toyota hybrid sales: 1,931 up 266.4%
- Prius family sales: 1,422, up 471% for best-ever month
- Prius c sales: 556 in first full month of sales, accounting for one-third of Toyota subcompact car sales
- Toyota car sales: 10,200 up 19.9%
- Camry/Camry Hybrid sales: 2,079, up 79.5%
- Yaris Hatch sales: 723, up 48.2%
“With rising gas prices, Canadian drivers advanced into Toyota hybrid vehicles in record-setting numbers,” said Tony Wearing, Senior Managing Director, Toyota Canada Inc. “Canadians love small cars and have embraced the value of the remarkably fuel efficient Prius c, buying 556 of this model in its first full month of sales, more than the 418 original Prius” sold in its first full year, back in 2001. Clearly, hybrids have reached the mainstream – this is further proof that 2012 is shaping up to be the Year of the Hybrid.”
Lexus sales highlights for April 2012 (vs. April 2011)
- Total Lexus sales: 1,338, down 17.6%
- CT 200h sales: up 1.6% for best-ever April
- GS 350 sales: up 684.6% for second-best-ever April
- IS series sales: up 5.8%
- LX sales: up 211%
- “Lexus’ advanced, hybrid luxury models represented 18.8 per cent of all Lexus vehicles sold in April,” said Larry Hutchinson, Senior Executive Director. “With Canadians embracing our hybrids, we’re thrilled to extend our offerings as a full line luxury hybrid manufacturer.”
Please click here for full Toyota Canada Inc. April 2012 sales results.
About Toyota Canada Inc.
Toyota Canada Inc. (TCI) is the exclusive Canadian distributor of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars, SUVs and trucks. Toyota offers the most fuel efficient passenger car fleet in Canada, led by the industry’s largest selection of advanced technology vehicles such as the Toyota Prius. With a rich history of respect for the environment, Toyota Canada Inc. and its Dealerships align with like-minded organizations including Evergreen and through the Toyota Canada Foundation, Earth Day Canada and Scientists in School, to make things better where we live, work and play. TCI’s head office is in Toronto, with regional offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax and parts distribution centres in Toronto and Vancouver.